AFS Standard Methods for Sampling North American Freshwater Fish Compare Your Data to Other Data Sets! Check out the article on this tool in the December issue of Fisheries.
Climate Science Center Review Team The American Fisheries Society and the Human Dimensions Research Unit of Cornell University have been engaged by the National Climate Change and Wildlife Science Center (NCCWSC) to conduct 5-year reviews of the eight DOI Climate Science Centers (CSC)
Ron Essig Becomes President of the American Fisheries Society The Society welcomes Ron Essig as its new president!
New Book: Mangroves as Fish Habitat An updated look at mangrove fishery linkages, community ecology and connectivity, ecological services of mangroves, and potential impacts from climate change.
Special Section: Hatcheries and Management of Aquatic Resources (HaMAR) Concurrent with the development of the guidance document (contained in the introduction to the special section and titled “Considerations for Use of Hatcheries and Hatchery-Origin Fish”), some of the HaMAR-related symposium presentations were peer-reviewed and are published in this special section of the journal.
New Book: Managing the Impacts of Human Activities on Fish Habitat Fish species and their habitat are under threat from the impact of overfishing, pollution, and development. This book reviews the science, governance, and practice of assessing and managing these impacts, including use of ecosystem-based approaches.
AFS Letter on Wisconsin Budget Situation Proposed Budget Undermines Critical Fish and Wildlife Research and Training Programs
Fisheries Degrees—List of North American Colleges and Universities The AFS Special Committee on Educational Requirements has completed a final draft of a list of North American colleges and universities that offer degrees in fisheries related disciplines.
JOIN NOW! The incredible diversity of the Society’s membership and the many scientific and professional subdivisions of the field of fisheries science and management that makes membership such a value. AFS was the first society of fisheries professionals, and with a current membership of 9,000, it is the largest such organization. Join now!
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP If you are an AFS member, you have exclusive access to content such as: Fisheries Magazine issues from 2005 – present, videos, such as the business video from our annual meeting, and reports, minutes, and the briefing book of the Governing Board. You can access all of this content at our members only page.
The American Fisheries Society (AFS) is the world’s oldest and largest organization dedicated to strengthening the fisheries profession, advancing fisheries science, and conserving fisheries resources.
RECENT FISHERIES NEWS
- Climate Science Center Review TeamMember Solicitation The American...
- AFS Seeks Journal EditorAFS Seeks Journal Editor The Ame...
- RON ESSIG BECOMES PRESIDENT OF AMERICAN FISHERIES SOCIETYFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE August 19,...
- MEDIA ADVISORY: Fishery Experts Focus on Managing Ecosystems Under StressCONTACT: Erik Robinson, The Pew...
- New Book: Mangroves as Fish HabitatWith the continuing destruction...
- Mortality, Transmitter Retention, Growth, and Wound Healing in Juvenile Salmon Injected with Micro Acoustic Transmitters
- Multispecies Occupancy Modeling as a Tool for Evaluating the Status and Distribution of Darters in the Elk River, Tennessee
- Trends in Relative Abundance and Early Life Survival of Atlantic Menhaden during 1977–2013 from Long-Term Ichthyoplankton Programs
- Hierarchical Phylogeographic Structure of Coho Salmon in California
- Genetic Status and Conservation of Westslope Cutthroat Trout in Glacier National Park
- The Case for Interdisciplinary Fisheries Education
- Full Issue PDF, Volume 41, Issue 8
- If I Knew Then What I Know Now: Advice for Fisheries Students from Recent Fisheries Graduates
- Narrow or Broad: Diverse Academic Pathways to a Career in Fisheries Science and Management
- Preparing the Next Generation of Fisheries Professionals: Insights from the Student Subsection of the Education Section
- Development of Duplex Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification (dLAMP) Combined with Lateral Flow Dipstick (LFD) for the Rapid and Specific Detection of Vibrio vulnificus and V. parahaemolyticus
- Evaluation of Substrate Properties for Settlement of Caribbean Staghorn Coral Acropora cervicornis Larvae in a Land-Based System
- Different Dietary Lipid Sources Affect Plasma Lipid Composition but Not Stress Tolerance or Growth of Hybrid Striped Bass
- Extrusion Temperature and Pellet Size Interact to Influence Growth Performance of Hybrid Striped Bass Fed Industrially Compounded Aquafeeds
- The Effects of a Transition Diet on the Smoltification of Chinook Salmon
- Bycatch of Myliobatid Rays in the Central Mediterranean Sea: the Influence of Spatiotemporal, Environmental, and Operational Factors as Determined by Generalized Additive Modeling
- Short-Term Habitat Use of Juvenile Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
- Feasibility of Tagging Walleye Pollock Captured with Hook and Line using External Tags
- Using Movements and Habitat Utilization as a Functional Metric of Restoration for Estuarine Juvenile Fish Habitat
- A Multispecies Virtual Population Analysis for the Southern Chilean Demersal Fishery
- Eutrophication, Ammonia Intoxication, and Infectious Diseases: Interdisciplinary Factors of Mass Mortalities in Cultured Nile Tilapia
- Hematological and Histological Changes in Prussian Carp Carassius gibelio Infected with Cyprinid Herpesvirus 2
- Effect of Tributyltin, Cadmium, and Their Combination on Physiological Responses in Juvenile Grass Carp
- Improved Broth Microdilution Method for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing of Francisella Noatunensis Orientalis
- Rapid Detection of Cyprinid Herpesvirus 3 in Latently Infected Koi by Recombinase Polymerase Amplification